This cake is perfect for tea time. Light and refreshing, the perfect balance between sweet and tart.
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup blueberries
3/4 cup plant milk – I use oat milk
1/3 cup vegan butter – I use Miyoko’s butter
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice – roughly 2 lemons
Zest from 1 lemon
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp salt
– Preheat oven to 350 degrees, set oven rack to the middle. Spray and line a cake pan with parchment paper.
– In small bowl, whisk together plant milk, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
– In a separate medium bowl, sift flour, salt, and baking soda.
– With an electric mixer in a large bowl, cream the butter, sugar, and vanilla extract together for about 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy.
– Beat in half of the flour mixture on low and then half of the milk mixture. Once lightly combined, beat in the remaining flour and milk mixture.
– Once combined, lightly fold in blueberries.
– Transfer the batter into the prepared cake pan.
– Bake for 45 – 55 minutes, until a tester can be pulled out clean.
– Let cake cool and top with fresh fruit, glaze, or coconut whipped cream as shown.